Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Three Weeks of Low-Iodine Menus

Good morning, everyone!

While I was in the midst of a "get healthier" plan, my thyroid had other food plans. So as not to drive myself nutty with so many different dietary goals, let's just put the thyroid one first, shall we?

A couple of weeks ago, I underwent a total thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid carcinoma -- the most common type of thyroid cancer. Because the cancer spread to a nearby lymph node, I will be undergoing high radiation treatment on an inpatient basis, later on in October.

To prepare my body for the radioactive iodine, I must starve any residual thyroid cells of iodine, so that, when they see the radioactive iodine, they suck it up quickly. In this way, any thyroid cells (good or bad) are dispatched, preventing any further shenanigans of the cancerous type.

So how do you starve yourself of iodine?

Iodine in Foods

A major source of iodine in our diets is iodized salt. The iodine is added because many of us would not get enough iodine, an important nutrient, unless we lived near the sea and ate products of the sea (salt-water fish, shellfish, kelp, etc.) on a regular basis. Other major sources of iodine are dairy products (because iodine in the cow's diet is naturally concentrated in the milk), and most processed baked goods (because dough conditioners contain iodine).

Seafood, cheese, iodized salt ... I'll see you in a few weeks...


Because even a little bit of salt or preservative in food contains enough iodine to throw off your low-iodine regimen, finding foods that are acceptable for a low-iodine diet can be a little challenging, at first. So I wanted to share with you what I have been eating.

Each post will have links to resources that I used to find low-iodine foods, as well as ways I adapted other recipes to make them low-iodine options.

The Menus, by Week

As I complete each day, I will post, and link to the menu, below. So come back often, and see what new things I've discovered that can be tasty and still keep your iodine low.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am also a breast cancer survivor (25 years) and a have a new thyroid canceer diagnois. Was recently told by my geneticist that there may be a connection between the two. There may also be a higher risk for melanoma if you are diagnosed with the other two. Just a heads up.

    ReplyDelete